May 18, 2010

Shapes Picture: A Rainy day Art Activity

After the glorious autumn weather we had been having here in Cape Town, the rain arrived, in bucketfuls! I thought that we needed some ready-made rainy day activities, that I can  have on standby for the long winter to come. I decided to try some shape pictures with the children and also created a special shape box, so that we can do this activity whenever we are in the mood. This idea was very much inspired by a project done by Katherine Marie, which you can see here.


Art projects for under-two's are tricky, but I was hoping that Little One would be able to join in on this one. Needless to say, I was a bit too ambitious, because more glue went into his mouth than on the picture!

I think that these pictures make awesome kiddies' wall decor and I'm going to frame these for Little One's room.





PS. If you have any good ideas for under-two's art, please share these in the comment box.

8 comments:

Chels said...

I'm so glad I surprised you!

Love your ideas and this one is great for my almost 4 year old. I agree that those 2 pictures will look awesome framed!
Thanks!

Joyfulmama said...

Oh that looks like tons of fun! Have you tried giving the Little One some inexpensive stickers from the office supplies store, like the green or red dots that are used as price stickers sometimes? Although I can imagine that they might also look appetizing to a glue-gobbling almost 2 year old...I think edible art may be the way to go until they are past the mouthing stage. Well done on the shapes pictures, though. It will definitely cheer up a rainy day!

Natalie Simons said...

Stunning idea, perfect for a Cape Town winter! I was also going to suggest stickers they work wonders and Toby Tower has some really nice ones (http://www.tobytower.co.za/)

Elise said...

The shape pictures look like a perfect activity to fill in a rainy day.

My little boy who is nearly two enjoys drawing on paper towel with some markers and then using a damp sponge to make the colours "blend". He also likes sticking different textured papers, materials and odds and ends, such a pipe cleaners and pom poms, onto contact paper to make collages. Our dot stampers and stickers also get a good workout.

Your no sew butterfly is so sweet. What a great design - I love that this is a no sew project.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Love it! I'm not brave enough to do many art projects with my 21 month old. I have to be prepared to give her a bath immediately afterward. :)

katherinemarie said...

You know how much I adore this project!!!!! YOUR shape ART is INCREDIBLY CUTE!!!! Those little faces and that SWEET icecream truck make me smile HUGE. "Dotty" art, using colorful bingo markers, has been wildly popular with my 19 mo old lately! Can't wait to see what you all create next. :):)

Sarah said...

I LOVE this idea! Gotta do it!

Amanda said...

You are so creative!! Great job!!

Blessings-
Amanda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...